NGT Legends

Monday, August 22, 2005

Endurance Div.2: Race 3 - Enna race report

After two 4th place finishes I was keen for a podium at Enna.

Having done well (5th) here in the NGT Sprint race I was fairly confident of putting up a decent performance.

Unfortunately, the NGT field was a small one, holidays taking their toll on the participants, no excuse for a poor result then!

Qualifying went well, placed in 2nd, 1s behind behind [ZiP]Tyf, closely followed by Jamera and Dave Gymer, although there was only 0.5 sec between 2nd to 4th.

I expected Tyf to pull away faily easily in the Porsche Bi-Turbo as Enna favours it's straight-line speed but I was surprised to stay with him, Tyf pulling away on the straights, I was catching up through the tricky chicane sections.

We battled for about 8 laps until Tyf lost it through the Schumacher chicane for me to pass for the lead. Unfortunately, this seemed to spur Tyf on and he caught and passed me quite quickly, only to lose it again! We swapped the lead 4 times in this way until finally I made it stick until I pitted in for fuel and tyres after 30 minutes.

I expected Dave Gymer not to pit as he'd mentioned he had a "cunning plan" before the race. I was hoping to be a couple of seconds a lap quicker so make it close despite my pitstop.

I was the first of the four to stop so watched Tyf, then Jamera and Dave shoot past, a lot quicker than I wanted. The battle with Tyf had obviously slowed me down more than I'd hoped.

Still, fresh tyres let me push on a bit and I quickly re-took the places from Jamera and Tyf as they pitted in. I was still quite a way behind Dave but catching at a reasonable rate, but maybe it would be enough if he made a mistake?

Decided to push on a little harder until the inevitable happened and I lost it, losing a lot of time and letting Jamera and Tyf through. Fortunately, Jamera span almost immediately and a couple of laps later, Tyf had to pit for fuel. Jamera chased me hard but I had a comfortable little gap to take through the last two laps for a 2nd place finish!

My first podium place, tinged a little by the low turnout but what they hell - doesn't happen every day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home