NGT Legends

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

NGT Sprint: Race 6 - Spa

Off to Belgium this wee for a few pints of Hoegaarden and a spin round the famous track at Spa.

Easily the longest track in the GTR series, Spa is a constant challenge. Spirts were high in the NGT Legends camp though after a hard week of practice, PaulW was looking fast, very fast and I wasn't too far behind.

Because the track is so long, you probably only get 4 laps on 'up to temperature' tyres so there's a lot to lose. Staying conservative, I put in a couple of decent mid-table laps and then went for the flyer on the last lap as my fuel dwindled. Looking good through section 2, I was 1.1s up on my best time and headed for a tasty 2:23.XX lap, hard on the brakes for Bus Stop, there was a car parked right in the middle of this section! Instinctively I avoided it but ran over the grass, losing my advantage.

Looking back, it should have been clear this was another GTR glitch, and I probably would have been OK to plough through as the car wasn't really there but too late, I'd qualified back in 12th.

Lap 1 saw a couple of cars in front of me leave the track as [ZiP]Tyf and Ginsters Sponsored left the track leaving me in 10th. It soon became apparent though that JM-Racing in 9th was pulling away quite handily and I was leaving 11th place behind me at a similar rate.

Next lap saw Paul968 leave the track and re-join behind Fozzmeister who was behind me.. I was hoping Fozz would hold him up for a while as I knew I wouldn't be hold on for 9th for long once Paul968 got up to me!

Paul968 quickly passed Fozz and began to chase me down but Eau Rouge saved me... I was gutted for Paul968 as I saw him disappear into the wall in this dangerous section.

Mo was next off the track to put me up to 8th and suddenly JM-Racing was right in front of me after a mistake! He was making a few mistakes but agonisingly still a little faster, I just couldn't close enough to make it count.

We then picked up RUF-BTR, JM-Racing passed easily but I wasn't quite able to get past before Bus Stop. RUF seemed to be having problems with his tyres and eventually he slid off, letting me past into 7th but by this time JM was well away.

So, finished in 7th, keeping up my excellent run of top 10 finishes, pretty good after a poor qualifying session but big congratulations go to PaulW with a stunning 4th place!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home