NGT Legends

Monday, August 08, 2005

Endurance Div.2: Race 2 - Magny Cours race report

Only half the NGT Legends team made the trip over to France for round 2 of the Endurance Div 2 championship as I lined up in the now familiar blue & gray of my 911 GT3RS.

Hopes were high after a decent performance at Barcelona (4th) in round 1. I see Magny Cours as one of my stronger tracks after a creditable 7th in the Sprint championship so I was looking forward to this one.

The dreaded 1FPS bug hit early in qualifying but the 30 min qualifying time (only 15 mins in the Sprints) gave me time to recover and post a fairly decent time to qualify in 3rd in the NGT class.

As the race started, it became apparent all was not quite right, [ZiP]Tyf and Iain disappeared quite quickly away and I was under a lot of pressure from as-here for the first couple of laps. The speed that I'd shown in qualifying just wasn't there and the pressure was making me more tentative.

Pushing on, I took a place from Iain (not sure how), then rounding the final bend into the start/finish straight, [ZiP]Tyf had spun, leaving me in the lead!

This proved to be somewhat short-lived unfortunately as Iain recovered and passed me easily. Got to hand it to him here, he was a class above in this race.

As I tried to consolidate my 2nd position, I failed to notice that the 1st braking marker had been clobbered and entirely missed my braking point for the first hairpin, hurtling into the gravel at 'splitter-crunching' speed. It's a long way to the back of the gravel trap here and even though I hit the barrier fairly hard, nothing was damaged. Phew. However, it's such a long way back to the track that I got 'lost', almost re-joined at the wrong point, then had to back-track, losing about a minute in the entire process. I'm not sure what my little diversion into the gravel did to the tyres but they weren't feeling too secure for the remainder of my first stint.

After the pit-stop at half-way, I pushed a bit trying to catch [ZiP]Tyf but to no avail, he was pulling out 2-3 sec per lap.

So, a little disappointed with my 4th place in the end. Maybe I'll be able to push onto the podium at Enna in two weeks time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home