NGT Legends

Monday, November 14, 2005

Endurance Div.2: Race 9 - Estoril race report

With the title race over, there was still plently to play for as we're right in there for the NGT team championship.

Mark Jonzo and I make the treck over to Portugal with a solid strategy for a conservative race designed to minimise the chance of a DNF.

We'd planned a 1-stop strategy but during the qualifying session it looked like Jamera and Dave Gymer had chosen their cars to go for a no-stop which got me thinking...

Mark edged me out of pole by just over 0.1s but we were both considerably faster than the rest of the NGT drivers so I decided to switch my strategy to not stop.

A big "well done" to Mark, a great qualifying session to grab his first pole position!

As the race started, the NGTL 1-2 pulled away from the rest of the NGT's at a rate of about 1s / lap. Mark was driving well.

At around half distance JonM, who was leading the GT race lapped us. I was safe but Mark was watching his mirrors a little too closely and braked a little too late for the Parabolica Interior and left the track enabling me to nip through for the lead.

I knew Mark would pit-in for tyres so I kept my conservative pace for an uneventful 2nd half of the race for my second win in a row!

Despite the pit, Mark came in 3rd, leaving us in a great postion for the last race at Monza to push for the team title!